Some people say that because laser marking machine involves laser technology, it will bring problems such as high radiation, strong light damage eyesight, toxic gas generation, and human skin burns.
Are laser marking machines as dangerous as they say?
1. Laser marking machine will bring high radiation?
There is radiation, but definitely not high radiation. Many things emit radiation, even ourselves – the human body emits tiny amounts of radiation every day, which is normal. And there are many types of radiation: nuclear radiation, solar radiation, electromagnetic radiation, computer radiation, etc.. They are often mentioned by everyone and all have the possibility of causing harm to the human body.
Here are a few points of data for you to understand:
(1) The maximum radiation value that the human body can withstand: The academic community currently believes that the radiation dose reaches 1000 millisieverts, which will cause obvious damage to the human body.
(2) Mobile phone radiation is measured by the SAR value. SAR represents the allowable amount of radiation absorbed per unit kilogram of organisms (including the human body). This SAR value represents the impact of radiation on the human body and is the most direct test value. The sensitive parts of the human body – the brain, for example, must have a standard SAR value below 1.67 watts.
(3) Relevant data shows that the highest SAR value of CDMA mobile phones currently used in the market is 1.55W/KG, while the highest SAR value of GSM mobile phones is 1.49W/KG. The lowest SAR value of CDMA mobile phone is 1.07W/KG, and the lowest of GSM mobile phone is 0.22W/KG.
(4) Taking a 20W fiber laser marking machine as an example, its radiation amount in the running state is 0.00029W/cm^2, while the microwave radiation standard formulated in 1998 is 0.00045W/cm^2. It can be said that The amount of radiation generated during the use of laser marking machines is much smaller than that of mobile phones and household microwave ovens.
The smart devices we usually come into contact with, such as mobile phones, computers, TVs, etc., all have their own radiation. In the process of marking with a laser marking machine, it is true that a small amount of radiation is generated, but this amount of radiation is even lower than the radiation you receive when you are outdoors in the sun.
2. Will toxic gas be produced during the marking process?
First of all, laser marking machine uses the thermal energy of the laser to burn or etch the marked items, so as to form text, patterns, markings, etc., and only needs to be powered on to achieve production. In the marking process, according to the different material, sometimes produce trace amounts of toxic gases.
(1) Plastic: Most of them will produce phenolic gas after burning. When the PVC insulation is burned, a large amount of hydrogen chloride gas is released. The flue gas contains a large amount of mixed toxic gases such as carbon monoxide, plastic heat medium gas and sulfide. But this is when the plastic is completely burned, and of course, the heat during laser marking also causes the plastic to produce traces of toxic gases.
(2) Most of the metal materials that can be used for laser marking usually do not produce toxic gas due to their stable properties and high density. But aluminum materials will generate a small amount of dust during the marking process.
Therefore, laser marking is best carried out in a well-ventilated environment or with professionally cleaning equipment.
3. Will the laser burn human skin?
The laser emitted by the laser marking head will have a certain high heat. The laser used in the laser marking machine belongs to class 4 laser. Its output laser is invisible infrared light, so it is necessary to avoid exposing the eyes or skin to direct laser beam or scattered radiation.
Therefore, as long as the laser marking is not intentionally triggered in a dangerous situation, few people will directly put their hands or other parts of the body under the laser marking head. In addition, the application of laser technology to human skin is also a very common technology, such as laser mole removal, laser tattooing, etc.
4. Does the strong light from laser marking damage eyesight?
Yes. Especially when used for marking glass or crystal products, the brightness of the laser is very high. Long-term direct viewing will cause vision loss, and even severe damage to the crystal will cause inexplicable black spots in the future vision. Therefore, during the operation, either wear protective equipment, or try to avoid looking directly at the laser at a close distance for a long time.
Laser marking machine does have a small amount of radiation that is not harmful to human. Direct exposure to or looking directly at laser light at close range for a long time can cause irreversible effects on the eyes, but many are in extreme and rare cases.
Therefore, more and more manufacturers still tend to use laser marking machine for production. Because it has clear and permanent marking effect, fast marking speed, high efficiency and low consumption, and has gradually become the first choice in the product packaging marking industry.